New to Crypto? Make sure you read the things you need to know about the Crypto Market in Canada for 2019. We've put all you need in this updated post!

iMiner Asic USB Miners

Hi All,

Someone sent me a few (10) of these so-called ASIC miners because they didn't have the patience or the technical knowledge to get them up and running. After doing a bit of research (any my own limited knowledge of these devices), I cannot seem to find any information on these things.

Apparently they are sold on Aliexpress as "i-Miner" USB Asics (I'm not going to bother posting the link on here, but if you do a search for "iminer" on Aliexpress you'll see a million ads for them (they look like thumb drives with an "i" circle logo on them)).

Anyhow, to make a long story short I found a driver that is supposed to worth with them (not sure if it does, but they now show up in my devices as "CP2012 USB to UART controller". I downloaded BFGMiner and attempted to get them recognized, but they can't be found when I do a device scan within BFGMiner for them.

So I guess my question is twofold:
1) Are these devices worth running? Will the costs likely exceed the payback?
2) Does anyone have any experience getting these things up and running?

If they are not cost-effective then the second question is a moot point since I will simply not continue with them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• XyverXyver Member
    edited September 2014
    I have never heard of these.... Any idea what the hashrate is supposed to be? (If it's less then 2 giga each, probably not worth the trouble)
  • According to thee site:
    *Computing power: Rated 300MH/S
    *Power input: 5V
    *Composition characteristics: usb interfaces window 7 under use
    *Mining agreement: Icuras support all virtual currency SHA256 algorithm
    *Power consumption: 2.5W
    * Design life: 10 years (theoretical value)
  • Not worth it. Those are like the ASIC Block Eruptors, the original USB miners!

That will net you 0.00004353 BTC per day, which is like 2 cents. Even with a Raspberry Pi, you'll spend more money on power then you'll get running them. Plus, you'll have to put a few hours in figuring them out and setting them up.

You can do it for fun, sure, but I don't think it's worth it for making any money (not even at the level or "Will I make ROI, or 90%, or 80%"... You'll be straight up losing money.)