New to Crypto? Make sure you read the things you need to know about the Crypto Market in Canada for 2019. We've put all you need in this updated post!

New York Financial Regulators subpeonaed all the big players in Bitcoin

BruceWayneBruceWayne Member Plus
edited August 2013 in Bitcoin News
From Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/08/12/every-important-person-in-bitcoin-just-got-subpoenaed-by-new-yorks-financial-regulator/

Looks like they want to regulate bitcoin

List of companies named:
  • BitInstant
  • BitPay
  • Coinabul
  • Coinbase Inc.
  • CoinLab
  • Coinsetter
  • Dwolla
  • eCoin Cashier
  • Payward, Inc.
  • TrustCash Holdings Inc.
  • ZipZap
  • Butterfly Labs
  • Andreesen Horowitz
  • Bitcoin Opportunity Fund
  • Boost VC Bitcoin Fund
  • Founders Fund
  • Google Ventures
  • Lightspeed Venture Partners
  • Tribeca Venture Partners
  • Tropos Funds
  • Union Square Ventures
  • Winklevoss Capital Management

Comments

• Man, **** that. I hate my other country, sometimes. I don't even know why I keep my American citizenship; I've been a dual citizen since birth.
  • CoinGuyCoinGuy Administrator
    What do you think the chances of Canada cracking down or their being a senate / parliamentary commission? We tend to follow US leads ....
  • BruceWayneBruceWayne Member Plus
    I think we're small potatoes compared to the US market. While we do have a growing community we don't have the multiple $1 million+ bitcoin companies here like in the US. Plus the USD is the world reserve currency so they have a bigger interest along with a few "dark pool" markets (dark pools are where whales go to buy and sell huge amounts on an exchange which doesn't report transactions since they're so large they could affect prices).

Seeing as how that Texas judge ruling bitcoin a currency it does change things quite dramatically everywhere since it is legal precedence for future rulings. Interesting times to say the least
    I just figured in Canada we love senate commissions and to waste tax payer money, so I figured it was a matter a time.
  • Man, **** that. I hate my other country, sometimes. I don't even know why I keep my American citizenship; I've been a dual citizen since birth.
    By the way, is swearing as tolerated here as it is at Bitcointalk? My modus operandi has always been that swearing is OK if you're not doing it toward another user, but I don't see many other people swearing, here.
    I think Canadians just tend to swear less and it leads to a less aggressive experience in general. But yeah, swearing is fine as users agree to be 18 and older when they join :)