New to Bitcoin? Make sure you read the things you need to know about the Bitcoin Market in Canada. We've put all you need in this updated post!

Coinbase Wallet & Canadians

AlbertaDocAlbertaDoc Member
edited December 4 in Bitcoins 101
I setup a Coinbase wallet over 2 years ago and bought some BTC. But like many Canadians I stopped using them because they would no longer support exchanging CAD for BTC. At that time I sold all my BTC and withdrew the CAD. I still have the wallet, with no balance. Can Canadians still use the Coinbase wallet with out running into issues or should I consider opening a new wallet with someone like else Jaxx or MyCellum?

Comments

• CoinGuyCoinGuy Administrator
    edited December 4
    I’d never use Coinbase because you have no access to private keys

As Coinbase is a hosted wallet, it's not feasible to provide the private keys to individual wallet addresses; doing so would prevent us from taking advantage of our secure cold-storage technology to protect your funds. This not only ensures your security but it also allows us to reduce the cost of sending digital currency to another Coinbase account.

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526452-where-can-i-find-the-private-keys-for-my-wallet-

I’d recommend mycelium:

Some bitcoin wallet and web apps store that key on the wallet company’s servers for you, meaning the company could get full access to you bitcoin account if they wanted to. However, with Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet, your private keys are stored on your phone, and they never leave your device unless you make a backup. The developers of the Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet have no access to your private keys and therefore you are in complete control of your funds.

https://support.mycelium.com/hc/en-us/articles/207045625-Where-are-my-bitcoins-stored-

• testmantestman Member Plus
    So glad I got out of Coinbase. Great to start with, but soon it becomes a PITA.
    I am he as you are he as you are me. And we are all together.
  • CoinGuy said:

I’d never use Coinbase because you have no access to private keys

I’d recommend mycelium:

Some bitcoin wallet and web apps store that key on the wallet company’s servers for you, meaning the company could get full access to you bitcoin account if they wanted to. However, with Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet, your private keys are stored on your phone, and they never leave your device unless you make a backup. The developers of the Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet have no access to your private keys and therefore you are in complete control of your funds.

https://support.mycelium.com/hc/en-us/articles/207045625-Where-are-my-bitcoins-stored-

Ohhh good one, I got a Mycelium wallet today. Super easy, pin, 12 word archive pwd - back it up and boom, good to go and well, it's just rad. I'm silly, but fun that you can change the name of your wallet to whatever (I like a little levity when dealing in serious currency) lol. Nice UI. Read up on them - Very cool. Thanks!