New to Crypto? Make sure you read the things you need to know about the Crypto Market in Canada for 2019. We've put all you need in this updated post!

CEO of Quadridga, Gerald Cotten, has Passed Away

CoinGuyCoinGuy Administrator
edited January 14 in Bitcoin News
Statement from Jennifer Robertson, wife and partner of Gerald Cotten, on behalf of QuadrigaCX

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the sudden passing of Gerald Cotten, co-founder and CEO of QuadrigaCX. A visionary leader who transformed the lives of those around him, Gerry died due to complications with Crohn's disease on December 9, 2018 while travelling in India, where he was opening an orphanage to provide a home and safe refuge for children in need.

Gerry cared deeply about honesty and transparency–values he lived by in both his professional and personal life. He was hardworking and passionate, with an unwavering commitment to his customers, employees, and family.

Through his hard work and dedication, Gerry contributed greatly to the growth and development of the Crypto Currency industry. As an expert in digital finance, he was involved with digital payments, currency, and transfers of electronic value for over a decade. In his capacity as CEO, he shared his passion and expertise in digital finance with his management team to successfully grow QuadrigaCX into one of the largest exchange platforms for Crypto Currency in Canada. We are very proud of all that Gerry has accomplished, and are confident that the leadership team at QuadrigaCX will carry on this important work in a manner consistent with Gerry's vision and values.

It is in this spirit that we announce that Aaron Matthews, the current Head of Operations, is being recommended by Gerry's Estate Executor to assume the role of interim President and CEO. Aaron has been a steadfast and positive influence on the leadership and growth of the Company. His proven leadership, coupled with his deep understanding of the industry, positions him well to carry on the important business of QuadrigaCX. We are confident in his ability to ensure continued and successful operations, as QuadrigaCX provides its customers with an easy to use platform that simplifies the process of buying and selling Crypto Currencies.

In the coming days and weeks, Aaron will provide further updates on the Company operations. QuadrigaCX remains committed to servicing its customers in an open, timely and transparent manner. Below, we have provided some Questions and Answers in order to address some of the more immediate needs of our customers. On behalf of our family and the QuadrigaCX team, we thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Robertson, Estate Executor of Gerald Cotten

https://www.quadrigacx.com/gerald-cotten

Comments

• CoinGuyCoinGuy Administrator
    edited January 15
    I have been reading some comments on Reddit and Twitter about Gerry's death online. It's sad that we as a Bitcoin community (in Canada) have come to the point to question a man's death as ploy or an exit scam. Have things been rough at QCX for the last bit? Sure. Do I believe one of the best exchanges for so many years would end like this? No I do not.

I am sure the delay in telling the wider world also had to do with the fact they didn't want to deal with some of the negative spirit from people. The amount of stress with the banking issues must have also been immense. It must have weighed on him.

As for no public info about his funeral, some people will never be happy. There are precautions public people have to take in the Crypto space to protect their security and the security of their family. Based on some of the comments I’m reading, they were smart to do so. Could you imagine some of these people would even show up at a funeral to ask for their money?

I for one am sad to hear of his loss. So young, and so much to do. I prefer to be trusting in this case, and accept them at their word. They have never given me thoughts to think they would stoop to such a level of deceit, and I what to think humanity is better than that.

Hug your loved ones, and remember why we got into this crazy space in the first place.
  • Very sad news. Some Co-op members knew Gerry very well. We've not seen any indication of a scam
    edited January 16
    @BitcoinCooperative based on my own dealings, I am pretty sure not a scam. Just so ugly the way some people are reacting. Makes me miss the early days of the scene.
  • barehunterbarehunter Member Plus
    Sad news. QCX has always been a class act. Those calling "scam" when a family is hurting need to have their heads examined.
    My condolences to the family.
    Interesting info by @mikexbt over at reddit