Bitcoin Alliance of Canada - Board of Directors AMA - 2014 Edition.

Comments

• It'd be nice to also have th elinks to social media for each candidate (Twitter, Diaspora or else).
  • David_R_AllenDavid_R_Allen Member
    edited April 2014
    @PierreBourque @Griffen @joshnekrep @Hai@mikeXBT
    Are you also a member of the Bitcoin Foundation? How do you feel the role of the newly formed Canadian Bitcoin Foundation Chapter will compliment the work of the BAC?
  • CoinGuyCoinGuy Administrator
    @David_R_Allen‌ I edited you post, so the other candidates see your question (they will get notified by email). Good question, BTW!
  • HaiHai Member
    CoinGuy said:

To get things started, I figure I would start with some of my questions for the candidates: @PierreBourque @Griffen @joshnekrep @Hai@mikeXBT

-What do you think is the biggest challenge to Bitcoin adoption in Canada? How do you feel your experience can help us get over that hurdle?

-Do you see Bitcoin as a currency or a store of wealth?

- What is your opinion of other crypto currencies? i.e are they a good thing or a hindrance to a stronger Bitcoin.

- The BAC community activity was very limited this past year, what initiatives do you hope to see to increase BAC involvement with the larger Canadian Bitcoin community beyond the Bitcoin Expo?

I think legislation can be a major hurdle to the adoption of BTC in Canada. If we're aware of the law coming up and assist in the development of both infrastructure from a legal and taxation perspective, we can ensure these important back-bone structures are developed with compliance in mind but does not hinder the development and growth of bitcoin and crypto currencies.

I see BTC as both a currency and a store of value. Others are seeing it as a speculative tool, assets, a scam and so many more things!... it's important we are aware of the different views out there and educate the population. As it grows, it will become more stable in the long run. It's so early in it's life, it's hard to tell where it will go.

With respect to other crypto-currencies, the reality is, they're here to stay. BTC is the first crypto currency and there's value in that. I think only more innovation can come out of the development of new crypto-currencies.
  • HaiHai Member

@PierreBourque @Griffen @joshnekrep @Hai@mikeXBT
    Are you also a member of the Bitcoin Foundation? How do you feel the role of the newly formed Canadian Bitcoin Foundation Chapter will compliment the work of the BAC?

No - not a member of bitcoin foundation. I think it can only help. We're all working towards the same goal - education and progress in the crypto currency space.
  • JoshNekrepJoshNekrep Member
    edited April 2014
    @MagicFab‌ I can be found at the following:
    www.facebook.com/joshnekrep
    www.twitter.com/joshnekrep

@CoinGuy
    Thanks for your questions. I'll address them one by one.
    What do you think is the biggest challenge to Bitcoin adoption in Canada? How do you feel your experience can help us get over that hurdle?
    Firstly, let me say that the current state of adoption is neither surprising nor of concern to me. Like many new technologies, crypto-currencies must grapple with the "chicken and egg" problem. Individuals are hesitant or discouraged from adopting Bitcoin because they feel like there's not enough utility. And the merchants and companies that could solve that utility concern are hesitant because they feel like there's not enough demand. However, when a technology provides real value, as I feel Bitcoin does, that problem is always solved. That said, there are certainly things that we as a community can do.

Today, I think it's fair to say that Bitcoin isn't yet "ready for primetime". We early adopters tend to be fairly tech-capable, however for much of the population, obtaining, safely storing, and using Bitcoin is complicated and confusing. I have absolutely no doubt that these challenges will be overcome through innovation, but in order to see that innovation bloom and thrive we need a friendly and embracing regulatory environment. I'm sure any of our members here who've been around for a while will already know that I favour a *minimal regulatory framework* that will provide the greatest opportunity to allow innovators to play around, and try new things, and experiment with different models and approaches. The greater the regulatory burden, the higher the barrier for entry and the more constricted the innovators will be.

I think that the Alliance has a tremendous opportunity to engage in meaningful lobbying efforts to help regulators understand the value of keeping Canada a regulation-friendly sandbox for crypto-innovation. As I've mentioned in my submission, I have extensive experience in governmental lobbying and I would love to apply that experience to Bitcoin with the Alliance.
    Do you see Bitcoin as a currency or a store of wealth?
    Certainly both. Today, when compared to other currencies or financial instruments, Bitcoin has limitations in both of those categories. However, that is to be expected of a young technology. However, I think any of us who have embraced Bitcoin in this early stage have done so because we recognize the value and potential of a light-weight, unencumbered currency that can be sent for low cost, quickly, to anyone anywhere. As well, I believe that the fundamentals supporting Bitcoin (ie: it's fixed rate of production with a hard limit of supply) make it suitable for long-term wealth storage.

Like many others in the community, I recommend to new adopters that they buy, save, spend, and share Bitcoin as part of the whole experience.
    What is your opinion of other crypto currencies? i.e are they a good thing or a hindrance to a stronger Bitcoin.
    I love 'em all. I'm most invested in Bitcoin because it has the largest network effect. However, I'm a free-market kinda guy and the innovation around other technologies in the space is extremely exciting and encouraging.
    The BAC community activity was very limited this past year, what initiatives do you hope to see to increase BAC involvement with the larger Canadian Bitcoin community beyond the Bitcoin Expo?
    I would like to see greater engagement with the community at large from the BAC through sites such as this one, and through social media. We could do a lot of great stuff with some well-thought-out public-facing campaigns.

Perhaps most importantly, I'd like the see the BAC take on a larger role in providing support to those who operate Bitcoin meetups across our country. As a meetup organizer myself, I often feel like I'm re-inventing the wheel and it would be great to bring organizers from across the country together to help produce and share content ideas, resources, and the like. Very little is currently being done in this area and I think it represents a huge opportunity for helping to promote engagement and adoption.

Thanks again for your questions @CoinGuy‌. I can tend to be a little... verbose. :)

• Are you also a member of the Bitcoin Foundation? How do you feel the role of the newly formed Canadian Bitcoin Foundation Chapter will compliment the work of the BAC?

@David_R_Allen‌ I am not, though I eagerly work with anyone in the space if we're shooting for similar outcomes, and I believe we are. It's hard to predict how the two bodies will compliment each other currently, but I'm hopeful that everyone involved will work together to further our cause.

• PierreBourquePierreBourque Member
    edited April 2014
    Hi again, yes I am a member of Bitcoin Foundation. It is all hands on deck time, so i see a collegial and collaborative approach among like-minded industry groups to be important.

David, all, FYI ..

@PierreBourque
    http://bourque.com
    FaceBook: PierreBourque
  • Thanks for arranging this @CoinGuy

here is my question for @PierreBourque @Griffen @joshnekrep @Hai@mikeXBT

Do you prefer working with regulators or allowing Bitcoin to self-regulate?
  • HaiHai Member
    testman said:

Thanks for arranging this @CoinGuy

here is my question for @PierreBourque @Griffen @joshnekrep @Hai@mikeXBT

Do you prefer working with regulators or allowing Bitcoin to self-regulate?

I think they go hand in hand. Mass adoption does somewhat require government acceptance. I don't know if this can happen without regulations. To a great extent, bitcoin does a pretty good job of self regulation (escrow services for one). Scams do take place though. It's become the "learning curve" to understanding bitcoin. In either case, we'll need both regulators and self-regulation for the success of bitcion.