New to Bitcoin? Make sure you read the things you need to know about the Bitcoin Market in Canada. We've put all you need in this updated post!

Is Litecoin Dead?

CoinGuyCoinGuy Administrator
There was a time when there was quite a bit of activity on here for Litecoin. It seems like it's grinded to a halt. Is the market for Litecoin almost dead? What's are your thoughts @Bossman‌ @saigoned‌ ? What would it take for a turnaround ?

Comments

• barehunterbarehunter Member Plus
    A year ago ltc was the silver to btc's gold.

Considering the high price of btc at the time, ltc made a lot of sense at $20. It was affordable by the masses and bound for success.

What a difference a year makes.

Though ltc has garnered some real world usage, no real effort was put forth to extend such. Someone may take up the torch and get it moving again.

I would not count it out yet but the declining price is causing many heartache.
  • BruceWayneBruceWayne Member Plus
    There has literally been no investments made into any coin infrastructure. I think the coins have been inflating themselves away for over a year now by introducing dozens of alt-coins per month while doing little to nothing on innovative new ways to use them. Add to the mining bubble where newly minted coins are almost immediately converted to fiat and/or BTC you can see why there's little to no price stability.

When I think back to early to mid-2013 there were many options to invest in various crowd funded projects. Now virtually everything has been stripped away to just mining investments. I mean there's clearly a market out there for these types of investments, but when you see the entire market narrowed in on such a small part of the entire concept. Has there ever been anything you wanted to BTC for and didn't care about the spot price because the income was enough to weather the storm?

I'll be buying a ton of LTC this year. Mainly because the payout gets cut from 50 LTC/block to 25/LTC block. I'm not in the habit of "catching a falling knife" but I will admit that prices do look tempting. Hyper inflation comes when you run out to buy anything because the currency you're holding will be worth less in hours or minutes. Hyper deflation comes when you run out to sell everything you own because the currency you deal in will allow you buy it back later for cheaper. I just think that hyper deflation has been occurring and it's the opposite side of the coin (no pun) of the Oct-Nov-Dec 2013 period.

At least that's my 2 satoshi
  • MikeXBTMikeXBT Member Plus
    There has literally been no investments made into any coin infrastructure.
    What would you consider to be an investment into coin infrastructure?
    When I think back to early to mid-2013 there were many options to invest in various crowd funded projects. Now virtually everything has been stripped away to just mining investments.
    The public has become jaded by all of the scammy crowd funded projects which were "outed" in 2014. Accredited investor laws exist for a reason, and many many people got fleeced via these "crowd funded" offerings. For every Maidsafe, there are 5 Neo&Bees. As an investment offering, mining is comparatively simple and safe-seeming.

Of the dozens upon dozens of crowd funded bitcoin companies over the last two years, the percentage of fraudulent/incompetent/scammy offerings makes up a somewhat shocking percentage.
  • BruceWayneBruceWayne Member Plus
    @MikeXBT I'm thinking more along the lines of LitecoinGlobal and (I can't pull up the the BTC equivalent now). Was ASICMiner worth 5 BTC? Fucked if I know, I just saw momentum capital and a nice divvy and hopped out when it seemed the tide turned. It was the same with Satoshi Dice.

The LTC environment was always the little brother of BTC. Sure gambling exists but so do a lot of exchanges. It's basically predicating upon the same mentality. Now if you told me BTC or any other currency dived in half, should I care since my investment, in say ASICMiner, not only doubled in that time frame, but also pays a dividend. Why would I ever dump this asset?

This is where my question as to why would you hold for any period of time?